Some of us may be wondering “why pour salt down the drain at night?”. We may think, technically what does pouring salt down the drain do actually. There may be different thoughts and queries when putting salt down the drain. In order that we are here, to share facts on this, “salt down drain trick”. And we will figure out how it appears as a jugaad to avoid unexpected plumbing expenses.
It is probable in cold countries, especially in winter to avoid freezing of drain water to ice and to have free-flowing water drain and to avoid ice blocking.
However, many online videos and articles advise that “pour salt down drain to clean pipe”.
Is there actually a reason pouring salt down drain will help thaw how!
Did you have ever heard about this salt-down-drain hack before?
Whatever the fact is! it’s right away better to make aware of this trick and unwelcome the expenses of plumbing.
Is This Fact Based?
Southendplumbingllc reports putting salt down the drain at night does not really do anything beneficial for your plumbing system. This idea went viral on the internet due to the fact that the salt is coarse and considered profitable for clean-up.
Besides this, Snopes reports false claims in the advertisement, Do Plumbers Advice to ‘Pour Salt Down Your Drain at Night’?
However, many YouTube videos and numerous online articles instruct pouring salt down the drain to help break up the clog and more.
No matter what, it’s important for you to know about this salt hack and make you aware of this kitchen trick right away.
Why Pour Salt Down Drain At Night? Here’s Why
Quick answer: When you add salt, it ionizes and breaks the clumps due to the charges on sodium and chloride ions that interact with the charges of the clumped particles and the garbage disposals. This results in a better flow of drain fluid and the salt will get rid of odors and dislodge anything stuck in the disposal. Why night? Because, at night, there will be minimum human activity and the waste flow into the drain is very little. This allows the added salt to stay in contact with drain water for a longer time so that interaction is more effective.
Steps to unclog a drain without a plumber:
All you’ll need is hot water and salt,
- Pour half a cup of salt into your sink drain and wait for it to go down.
- Then boil 2 liters of water and turn off the stove as soon as the water starts bubbling.
- Pour the water down the drain slowly, the hot water will melt the fat built up in the pipes.
- After the water you boiled has all gone down the drain, run some more hot water from the faucet just to make sure.
- The salt’s scratchy texture will help move any leftover fat.
Take note: Pouring salt down your drains will cause pipes to deteriorate faster. Especially if you have castiron pipes. Also using baking soda could foam and stick to the top of the pipes with salt so you will cause major long-term damage. The best solution is to not put anything down the garbage disposal that means anything except water. Or, if you have not maintained your lines in years may need hydro jetting.
Additional Tips To Avoid Clogged Drains
- Never put grease, oil, banana peels, potato peels, eggshells, bones, pits, or seeds down the drain.
- To keep your sink smelling fresh and running clear, pour in equal parts of vinegar and baking soda on a regular basis. Pour 1/2 cup & let the mixture sit for a few minutes before running some warm water down the drain. You can also use lemon juice for the same purpose.
- If you have a kitchen garbage disposal, don’t overload it. Feed items in a little at a time and wait until they grind and run through completely before adding more.
- Put a hair trap in your bathroom sinks tubs and showers.
Also read: Why does my water bottle smell bad?
Frequently Asked Questions :
Is it safe to dump salt water down the drain?
Adding a large amount of salt & hot boiling water down the drain could warp the pipes and cause a leakage especially if the pipeline material is PVC.
What happens when you pour salt down the drain at night?
Salt helps clear blockage in the drain and at night, due to less/no usage; it stays longer in the drain & hence gives better results. Just before going to bed, allowing the solution to sit overnight gives more cleaning horsepower.
Can you unclog a shower drain using Coke?
Not very well! It is actually doubtful. A much better solution would be to pour a tablespoon of baking soda into the drain followed by a half cup of vinegar.